Internet radio stations offer the same pleasures as terrestrial radio, without the limitations of mono and mono-focused broadcasters. We’ll take a look at what sets internet radio apart from traditional broadcasts and show you how to find some great stations on the web.
Internet Radio: A Brief Overview
These broadcasts encompass everything from country to classical pianists, and everything else in between such as metal, punk rock or even bluegrass (yes, it’s real). You’ll find that the world of the internet radio is a vast, diverse and vibrant one, ranging from small stations to some of the biggest on the web.
What’s so special about Internet Radio?
It’s the same as traditional broadcast radio but it isn’t! Traditional broadcasts are limited to a tight mono focused frequency. In reality, stations that broadcast a single channel are really just simulcasting other stations in the same format. Digital radio is different; it has the ability to broadcast over multiple channels and according to that amount of data (called bits) in the station’s signal.
This allows for great audio quality unlike traditional broadcasts that have been limited by Bluetooth dead zones or low-quality speakers. One of the best features of digital radio is how accessible it is through various applications such as Windows Media Player and iTunes on computers and iPod/iPhone devices.
Free Internet Radio
The great thing about internet radio is that there’s so much quality stuff out there. It’s all free! There are hundreds of high-quality stations. Since the advent of iTunes, a large majority of podcasts, which can be placed into the internet radio category, are also free. If you’re at a loss for what to listen to, check out:
Streaming Radio Online’s Pick of the Top 5 Free Internet Radio Stations.
If you’re looking for something a little more niche, here are three great stations that are in completely different categories:
- All Rock Radio – This is a great station that offers a wide range of alternative and rock music. The name says it all!
- Punk Radio – A great station that has no frills but lots of good punk rock and hardcore music.
- Classical Piano Radio – Many people don’t realize the variety and diversity in classical music. This is a fantastic station if you’re looking for something more relaxing, or even to brush up on your classical music genre knowledge! It’s not just Beethoven’s 5th Symphony.
- KVRO News Talk 900 – This is a news channel that caters to Republicans and business professionals. If you’re looking for something a little more niche, but with an interesting twist on the news, this is for you.
- Radio Paradise – This is a great station full of a wide variety of music. It’s not just on one channel it is broken down into sub-stations that cover specific genres and programming.
There are many other great internet radio stations out there. Experiment with some of the stations above for a few days and see what you like. If you find something better, go for it! If you’ve been a fan of terrestrial radio, but have never explored the possibilities that internet radio offers, give it a shot. You’ll be glad you did.